Monday, March 24, 2014

Networking Advice



Why You Should Not To Give Up On Your Dreams:
<http://www.linkedin.com/e/v2?e=gjra1-hst279s7-4v&t=plh&ek=b2_anet_digest&li
=8&urlhash=6Z24&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Elinkedin%2Ecom%2Ftoday%2Fpost%2Fartic
le%2F20140211144105-46951391-6-reasons-not-to-give-up-on-your-dreams


Building A Solutions-Based Resume:
<https://recareered.infusionsoft.com/app/hostedEmail/27916720/82c6949a2b798a
86>

Should You Run a Background Check on Yourself Before Looking for a Job?:
<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kenneth-coats/should-you-run-a-backgrou_b_491
4019.html
.

Age Discrimination-How to beat it: <
https://recareered.infusionsoft.com/app/hostedEmail/27880452/48244f38ac1a88f
3>

5 Ways to Get the Most Out of LinkedIn Groups
<http://www.linkedin.com/e/v2?e=gjra1-hsyrcj2u-2m&t=gde&tracking=eml-b2_grou
p_digest-grouppost-disc-1&ek=b2_anet_digest&li=9&itemID=5850946373599383555&
anetID=1800872&itemType=member
>

Don't allow your resume to put a hold on your career...
<http://www.linkedin.com/e/v2?e=gjra1-hsyrcj2u-2m&t=gde&tracking=eml-b2_grou
p_digest-grouppost-disc-7&ek=b2_anet_digest&li=19&itemID=5851686603021365249
&anetID=1800872&itemType=member
>

How to write a follow-up email after an Interview?
<http://www.linkedin.com/e/v2?e=gjra1-hsyrcj2u-2m&t=gde&tracking=eml-b2_grou
p_digest-grouppost-disc-4&ek=b2_anet_digest&li=24&itemID=5851723422706450432
&anetID=1800872&itemType=member
>

The Two-Minute Crash Course on How to Pick a Field: <
http://www.linkedin.com/today/post/article/20140318161951-196738-the-two-min
ute-crash-course-on-how-to-pick-a-field
 .

3 Biggest Mistakes of Secret Job Searching: <
http://www.careerbliss.com/advice/3-biggest-mistakes-of-secret-job-searching
/?utm_source=social&utm_medium=linkedin&utm_campaign=32014-update
 >.

Cracking the Code on Military Resumes: <
http://www.hreonline.com/HRE/view/story.jhtml?id=534356840>

A few thoughts on job and career fairs, part 1: Niche Events like Military
MOJO; <
http://orderstonowhere.com/2014/03/21/a-few-thoughts-on-job-and-career-fairs
-part-1-niche-events-like-military-mojo/



+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++


From the Network - briefing from a first interview

I recently had my first interview and I wanted to share what I took from it.
1- Research- While I love to research anything I do, I was careful not to
just do what the videos and blogs said I should do. Another words, I just
took tidbits from each one and included them into my mental library. 2-
Prepare- I made a portfolio which included; my biography, resumes, military
evaluations, military awards, smart transcript, diplomas and certifications.
I went to a copy store and had copies made of all and banded with a nice
plastic cover. I ran out of time but wanted to put a table of contents page
with some kind of section dividers. I also wanted to put a cover page with
the interviewers name on it. As is, the portfolio was very well received and
my interviewer was very impressed. 3- Be yourself!- I watched many many
videos and read just as many  blogs on how to properly be an interviewee. I
took the tidbits I thought were important and incorporated them into my
personality. I was very   professional from what my interviewer said. My
interview was scheduled from 9am-10am. I got there at 845 am and the
interview lasted almost two hours. I did not seem like an interview at all,
more of a great conversation about what I can do for the company and what
the company can do for me. 4- Know your interviewer- Not sure if everyone
gets the name of the person who will be interviewing them but I was
fortunate to have this information. A quick Linked In search proved
invaluable in letting me get to know my interviewer before meeting them. I
figured they get to know me so why not vice versa. It actually   made me
feel even more comfortable because we had a lot of things in common which we
were very passionate about. I told my interviewer that I had done this and
again she said she was very impressed. 5- Help the interviewer understand
your military structure. This I will need to prepare more for. The way I
managed personnel in the division I led was a bit different than in the
business world. I am considering making a flowchart the command structure.
We will see, it's an idea in the making. I heard terms like direct reports.
I was asked even though my division was 110 personnel how many were direct
reports. I was confused because they all are in a way. She explained to me
and I understood after. In closing, I thought it went very well and I was
very comfortable the entire time. I was able to be myself. Very important
thing I would like to share. Even though we sacrificed and fought for our
Country does not entitled us to get jobs we are not qualified for. When I
was submitting resumes I was expecting them to look past some of the
requirements they mentioned in the job description because I am a veteran.
This is simple not the case. Make no mistake we are very, very respected for
what we do but the fact will always remain, what canwe do to make these
companies succeed. You have to be able to prove you WILL be an asset to
their company. Your military service will help get you in, some companies
feel they should do that much but nothing is free and you will have to want
it and work for it to get it. I submitted 60 applications for jobs since
August and 90% of them I thought they would look past certain elements I was
missing. Then I was upset I did not get any calls.  The week I decided to
only submit resumes for the companies that I met each criteria in the
requirements section was very fruitful. I had a phone call one day after my
first submission and an interview 4 days later. Quality resume submission in
my opinion is key not quantity. I welcome any feedback by veterans and
interview professional as well. Good luck to all I hope this helps. Happy
Hunting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Support American Legion Post 434 By Visiting this supporter